- Make your video using the script below.
- Post it on your lawmakers’ twitter page, with the following tweet: I am the heart of [your state]. Remember me when you vote in Congress #HeartOfMyState
- Don’t forget the hashtag.
Not sure how to how post on your lawmakers’ twitter page? Just follow these steps or watch the video on the top of this page.
- Look up your lawmakers using the form on this page.
- Click on the twitter icon next to the Representative/Senator.
- Once the lawmaker page is brought up, click on the tweet button.
- Insert your video with the following tweet: I am the heart of [your state]. Remember me when you vote in Congress #HeartOfMyState
Need inspiration? - Check out You're the Cure advocate Grace Firestone as she lets her member of Congress know that she is the heart of Delaware!
1. Introduce yourself
Hello [Insert Representative/Senator], my name is [Insert name] and I am from [Insert City].
2. Make it personal
As your constituent, I am passionate about heart and stroke issues because... insert a personal story about why you are a passionate advocate. Maybe you or a loved one had a stroke or a heart condition. Are you a nurse, doctor or caregiver? Or perhaps you are just committed to seeing a world without heart disease or stroke.
3. Ask them to fight for heart and stroke patients
That is why I want you to remember that we are counting on you to fight for people like me in Washington by: Pick one or two issue areas below
- Making sure you maintain meaningful and affordable coverage for heart and stroke patients.
- Making accessing new technologies, such a stroke telemedicine, available to everyone, no matter where they live.
- Helping more heart attack patients take advantage of the rehabilitation services that have been shown to reduce the likelihood of another cardiac event.
- Supporting the latest heart and stroke research and our hope for a cure by increasing funding for the National Institutes of Health.
4. Wrap it up
Thank you for supporting the heart and stroke community in Congress. As the heart of [Your State], I am counting on you.